LearnThe Big Story Course
“Life doesn’t make sense until you know
the story you are in.”
The Big Story Course
The core premise of this course is that when we have a clear understanding of the larger story of God, we are better able to understand how our lives make most sense inside that narrative. Upon completion, you will be able to:
- Recount the larger story of God
- Articulate how your life makes most sense inside God’s redemptive purposes in the world.
- Identify and deploy your “vocational power” redemptively.
Lesson 1 - Overview (Feb 24, 2021)
After some orientation by Martin, Geoff offers a broad overview of the course and its importance for Christians today.
- Interview with Amy Sherman, author of Kingdom Calling. Video - 11 mins.
- All In - Our friend Scott and his work of creating jobs and revenue to help Ethiopia flourish. Video - 4 mins.
- The Reframing Story - A great resource developed by Regent College. Video - 35 mins.
- The Kingdom Story - A helpful essay developed by New City Commons for use by Cru. Used here by permission.
Lesson 2 - Creation (Mar 3, 2021)
Lance spends some time in Genesis reflecting on how we were created in the image of God what we are called to do (including things like bringing order out of chaos).
- Street Sweeper - This is the video we watched produced by Briefcase Studios. Martin Luther King Jr comments on the power of good work. Video - 2:34 mins.
- Flourishing Culture - Andy Crouch has been very helpful in reframing how we can contribute to creating a world where everyone thrives. Produced by our friends at Made to Flourish. Video - 43 mins.
- Imaging God Worksheet - This worksheet can help you think about your vocational activities in light of the big story. Below you will find a quick instructional video to explain how to use it.
Two Question Survey on Creation - Would you please fill this out to help us gauge our effectiveness in teaching and applying this content? Thanks.
Lesson 3 - Fall
Martin helps us think about the impact of the fall upon the four dimensions of shalom.
Lesson 4 - Redemption
Lesson 5 - Restoration
In this session, Martin and Lance connect the work of spiritual formation with the calling to partner with God in renewing and redeeming culture. Learn about four pathways to flourish your neighbors.
Lesson 6 - Integration
Content will be posted here after we conduct the session.
A Glimpse Into Our Thinking
“That San Diego would be a place where everyone and everything is flourishing.”
This vision is a picture of what “thy will be done, on earth as it is in heaven…” looks like.
“Align and empower the people of God to steward their whole lives toward God’s mission of renewing all things.”
Our aim is to help the body of Christ steward all they have been graced with to seek the shalom of our city. We will connect, incubate, and catalyze people and organizations to love their neighbors to life.